Friday, July 22, 2011

The Cinematheque Reviews: Captain America: The First Avenger

Like any red-blooded, able-bodied (okay, semi-able-bodied) young boy in America, I read comics all throughout my youth.  I still occasionally go back to the well so to speak, now choosing to read (and re-read) the hardback collections and omnibuses of classic Marvel Comics I grew up with.  So one could rightfully assume I was looking forward to the latest in what seems like a never-ending array of comic book adaptations - Captain America: The First Avenger.  Well I was, and for the most part, I was not disappointed.  A rousing, old-fashioned, Indiana Jones-like adventure tale of daring-do and two-fisted (with iconic red, white & blue shield in one) comic book action.  Granted, the film isn't a great work of art (it's no Dark Knight) but it sure is fun - and more than a bit nostalgic for this comic book reader from long ago (and not so long ago too).  My review of said film is now up and running over at my review site The Cinematheque.  I do get a bit long-winded in it (two paragraphs on Jack Kirby and the Golden Age of comics!?) but I think it's well worth the read, just as the movie is well worth the price of admission (well maybe not 3D admission, but then the film has no real reason to even be in 3D anyway).


And Cap even gets to use his original shield, as seen in Captain America #1 back in the spring of 1941.  Yeah, I'm a nerd, what's it to ya.

No comments: