Monday, January 17, 2011

The Cinematheque Reviews:
Tiny Furniture

There have been many many (many) complaints about how Lena Dunham's Mumblecorely manufactured Tiny Furniture is nothing more than a D.I.Y. soapbox for a privileged white kid to climb up on and whine about how Goddamned tough life is for her and her fellow Gen Y grouses, and yes, it most certainly is just that (as is pretty much 97.3% of the rather vapid, self-involved Mumblecore movement), but still, for some strange reason (a reason I may never fathom anywhere but in the dark recesses of my brain and a reason that led to my inexplicable enjoyment of past Mumblecore films such as Hannah Takes the Stairs and Beeswax), this self-absorbed whining somehow fascinates me, and therefore I actually quite enjoyed (inexplicably again) Lena Dunham's Tiny Furniture, not in spite of its incessant nagging and whining, but because of its incessant nagging and whining.  Strange, ain't it?


No comments: