Thursday, December 2, 2010

Independent Spirit Awards

I suppose I should be keeping my predicting skills somewhat limber for the upcoming Oscar season (a season that if I felt guilt would constitute a guilty pleasure for me) so here are my choices (personal and prediction-wise) for the upcoming Independent Spirit Awards, which will be handed out on 02/26/2011, exclusively (I am told) on IFC.

As for my thoughts on the nominations, I was rather surprised (though happily so) to see the love for the somewhat underrated Greenberg and the lack of love (except for First Feature and a supporting nod for Bill Murray, the best thing about the movie) for the somewhat overrated Get Low.  I was really glad to see the supporting nods for Winter's Bone. All the Oscar talk has been about Jennifer Lawrence as lead - and such talk is well-founded as she is great in the role - and it is nice to see Hawkes and Dickey getting a much needed push for eventual Oscar nods.  The strangest nomination though goes to Sam Jackson for his supporting role in Mother and Child.  Not that he wasn't good in the film (he is the coolest motherfucker around) but really didn't have that much to do in said film, and Ryan Ifans of Greenberg was left out in the proverbial cold because of it (assuming he was the sixth choice that is).  Otherwise, a great selection here (love seeing Michelle Williams in for Blue Valentine, though would have liked to  have seen her co-star Ryan Gosling in there as well) - and fantastic to see Uncle Boonmee get a nod (and a hopeful win).  As for my favourite in this whole bunch (Black Swan) I don't see it taking home any of the big hardware (cinematography is my only predix for it) but Aronofsky is well respected.  I suppose we will see.

Best Feature
127 Hours
Black Swan
Greenberg
The Kids Are All Right
Winter’s Bone

My choice: Black Swan
My prediction: Winter's Bone

Best director
Darren Aronofsky, Black Swan
Danny Boyle, 127 Hours
Lisa Cholodenko, The Kids Are All Right
Debra Granik, Winter’s Bone
John Cameron Mitchell, Rabbit Hole

My choice: Darren Aronofsky
My prediction: Debra Granik
Best first feature
Everything Strange and New
Get Low
The Last Exorcism
Night Catches Us
Tiny Furniture

My choice: Tiny Furniture
My prediction: Tiny Furniture

John Cassavetes Award 
(best feature with a budget of $500k or less)
Daddy Longlegs
The Exploding Girl
Lbs.
Lovers of Hate
Obsedila

My choice: I haven't seen any of these
My prediction: Daddy Longlegs

Best screenplay
Stuart Blumberg, Lisa Cholodenko, The Kids Are All Right
Debra Granik, Anne Rosellini, Winter’s Bone
Nicole Holofcener, Please Give
David Lindsay-Abaire, Rabbit Hole
Todd Solondz, Life During Wartime

My choice: Debra Granik and Anne Rosellini
My prediction: Stuart Blumberg and Lisa Chodolenko

Best first screenplay
Diane Bell, Obselidia
Lena Dunham, Tiny Furniture
Nik Fackler, Lovely, Still
Bob Glaudini, Jack Goes Boating
Dana Adam Shapiro, Evan M. Wiener, Monogamy

My choice: Lena Dunham
My prediction: Lena Dunham
Best female lead
Annette Bening, The Kids Are All Right
Greta Gerwig, Greenberg
Nicole Kidman, Rabbit Hole
Jennifer Lawrence, Winter’s Bone
Natalie Portman, Black Swan
Michelle Williams, Blue Valentine

My choice: Michelle Williams
My prediction: Jennifer Lawrence

Best male lead
Ronald Bronstein, Daddy Longlegs
Aaron Eckhart, Rabbit Hole
James Franco, 127 Hours
John C. Reilly, Cyrus
Ben Stiller, Greenberg

My choice: Ben Stiller (but I have not seen 127 Hours yet)
My prediction: James Franco

Best supporting female
Ashley Bell, The Last Exorcism
Dale Dickey, Winter’s Bone
Allison Janney, Life During Wartime
Daphne Rubin-Vega, Jack Goes Boating
Naomi Watts, Mother and Child

My choice: Dale Dickey
My prediction: Dale Dickey

Best supporting male
John Hawkes, Winter’s Bone
Samuel L. Jackson, Mother and Child
Bill Murray, Get Low
John Ortiz, Jack Goes Boating
Mark Ruffalo, The Kids Are All Right

My choice: John Hawkes
My prediction: John Hawkes
Best cinematography
Adam Kimmel, Never Let Me Go
Matthew Libatique, Black Swan
Jody Lee Lipes, Tiny Furniture
Michael McDonough, Winter’s Bone
Harris Savides, Greenberg

My choice: Matthew Libatique
My prediction: Matthew Libatique

Best documentary
Exit Through The Gift Shop
Marwencol
Restrepo
Sweetgrass
Thunder Soul

My choice: Is there a sixth choice?
My prediction: Exit Through the Gift Shop

Best foreign film
Kisses
Mademoiselle Chambon
Of Gods and Men
The King’s Speech
Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives

My choice: Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives
My prediction: Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives

Perhaps I went a bit Winter's Bone heavy there (I held back on screenplay and cinematography!) and Bening and her film are probably the safer bets (I think it comes down to these two films in most categories), but I have this feeling.....
Anyway, the real Oscar precursor hoopla begins later today with the National Board of Review's picks (followed by the NY and LA critics next week sometime). 

No comments: