Sunday, December 12, 2010

LAFCA & NYFCC Predix

Here are my attempt at predicting who the LA and NY critics will pick when they announce their awards on Sunday the 12th and Monday the 13th, respectively.  I must preface this rather futile exercise with the fact that I am not very good at this - yes, I can pick Oscar winners like a mofo (and more oft than not, win any annual Oscar poll contest), but the early precursors are a horse of a much different colour.  Anyway, here goes.

LAFCA
Best Film: The Social Network
Best Director:  David Fincher, The Social Network
Best Actor:  James Franco, 127 Hours
Best Actress:  Annette Bening, The Kids Are All Right
Best Supporting Actor:  Matt Damon, True Grit
Best Supporting Actress:  Dianne Wiest, Rabbit Hole
Best Adapted Screenplay:  Lisa Cholodenko, Stuart Blumberg, The Kids Are All Right
Best Cinematography: Wally Pfister, Inception
Best Foreign Film:  White Material
Best Documentary:  Exit Through The Gift Shop
Best Animated Feature: Toy Story 3

NYFCC
Best Film: The Social Network
Best Director:  Mike Leigh, Another Year
Best Actor: Javier Bardem, Biutiful
Best Actress: Tilda Swinton, I Am Love
Best Supporting Actor:  Christian Bale, The Fighter
Best Supporting Actress:  Jacki Weaver, Animal Kingdom
Best Adapted Screenplay:  Aaron Sorkin, The Social Network
Best Cinematography: Matthew Labatique, Black Swan
Best Foreign Film:  I Am Love
Best Documentary:  Inside Job
Best Animated Feature: Toy Story 3

As you can plainly see, only Best Pic and Best Animated Pic match up between the two organizations.  I think this Oscar race is going to be a rather wide open one (as opposed to past years where many categories are completely sewn up long before the awards are finally handed out).  As for surprises, I would love to see some love for Blue Valentine and its two stars and/or for John Hawkes and Dale Dickey for their roles in Winter's Bone, possibly even a Best Actor award for Casey Affleck in The Killer Inside Me, but I don't see that last one happening.
 
I will post the actual winners (and my prediction grade) as soon as everything is announced.

No comments: