Sunday, April 24, 2011

Melancholia is Coming.....

Although I am greatly looking forward to such upcoming films as Malick's Tree of Life and Scorsese's Hugo Cabret and Cronenberg's A Dangerous Method, there is one film in particular that I am looking forward to with the greatest of (maniacal) glee.  This particular movie is Lars von Trier's Melancholia.  I am an unabashed lover of (almost) anything von Trier (I say almost because I am loath to like Manderlay, though perhaps a second viewing may quell such thoughts).   I suppose what I am trying to say is, no matter the pretentious jackass he is, I sure do love me some von Trier.  One of the best times cinematically I have had in a while was watching Antichrist at the Walter Reade during a NYFF press screening and getting to watch and listen to von Trier himself via Skype ( a scary head to see thirty feet high I can tell you though!).  But I am getting off subject.  Melancholia will make its world premiere at Cannes next month and should (hopefully) make it to the states sometime later this year (perhaps after a stop at the aforementioned NYFF).  I am already predicting it to top my Best of 2011 list.  Anyway, here is the trailer.  Watch it.  Now.  The voice of Max Von Sydow commands you (a little Europa injoke for those fellow Trierheads out there - and you know who you are).

1 comment:

Reanaclaire said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.