Wednesday, April 6, 2011

The Cinematheque Reviews: Sucker Punch

I have had a love/hate relationship with director Zack Snyder over the years.   Ignoring that cartoon owl thing he made for a paycheck (and which I did not see anyway) Snyder's oeuvre has been a perfect up/down ride for me.   First, in 2004 his Dawn of the Dead remake made my Top Ten list.  Then, in 2007, I boldly proclaimed his 300 the worst film of the year.  Then, in 2009 the moviemaker had once again gleaned his way into my Top Ten with his adaptation of Watchmen.  Now here it is 2011 and right on schedule his Sucker Punch is an extremely strong candidate for the worst movie of the year.  I suppose, in a perfect world, this means his Superman: Man of Steel will be a favourite of mine when it is released in 2012.  I really don't believe this, but one can dream, can't one?


Sure, they look good and they kick ass, but what the fuck is it all about!?

No comments: