Monday, February 27, 2012

Oscar Round-Up.....and Almost a New Record

Damn that Meryl Streep!  Seriously, with just two awards left to go in the night - Actress and Picture - and having already predicted 18 of the first 22 correctly, it looked as if I would finally break my record of 19 correct guesses (done in both '08 and '09 before plummeting to a record low of 16 last year).  But no dammit, that bitch Streep had to come in and ruin everything.  Okay, I am not really mad at La Streep.  How could anybody be mad at La Streep?  So please, do not comment about how much of a bastard I am - because it is just a joke people.  Just a joke.  Even if her film was what they call utter crap, or at the very least (or best?) utterly mediocre, Streep's performance was quite good.  Seriously though, I was happy to see Meryl win this (my personal vote would have gone to Rooney Mara, or perhaps the ever lovely Miss Michelle Williams), even if she did screw up a possible new record.  But alas, I digress.  Congratulation to The Artist for its five awards, including Picture, Director and Actor, and to Hugo for its five awards as well (if you do not count the four that The Departed won, that is more Oscars than every other Scorsese film combined).

As far as the record goes, I did come close, but with 19 out of 24 right, it was still just a tie.  Missing just five this time around (adding Costume Design, Visual Effects, Film Editing and Cinematography to the aforementioned Best Actress) was pretty good I suppose, considering how up in the air many of the tech awards were.  But hey, I aced all three short films, so I must know what I am doing, right?  Yeah, sure I do.  Anyway, the Oscars are now over for another year, so it is back to watching, talking about and writing on both classic films (planning on finally finishing the 1000 Greatest Films list) and new releases (upcoming reviews of The Secret World of Arietty, Albert Nobbs, Chico & Rita, Once Upon a Time in Anatolia and the Oscar winner for Best Foreign Language Picture, A Separation are on their way).  I will also be back with my waaay in advance Oscar Predictions for next year.  This silly folly will happen sometime in April.  After all, in the same nutsy nine month in advance way, I did pick five out of the eventual nine Best Picture nominees correct this past year.  I even had Rooney Mara correctly predicted - something I did not do in my eventual final predictions.  Crazy, huh!?  Oh, and congrats to you too Ms. Streep.


4 comments:

Natalie said...

What say you? Happy with the way the Oscars turned out? I must admit I was too, too thrilled to see The Artist win Best Picture and Jean Dujardin win Best Actor.

Kevyn Knox said...

Personally I would have rather seen either The Tree of Life or Hugo take home the top prize (though I knew that would not happen) for they were my two favourite films of last year. But still, I did quite like The Artist so I am far from upset about its victory, and I love Dujardin - have for years now - so his win is great to see. He starred in a French hit film back in 2010 called Little White Lies (also starring Marion Cotillard) but it has not been picked up by a US distributor yet. His win here may help that along.

Chip Lary said...

Hey, 19 is damn good. I saw someone get 20 in one of the contests I entered, but I don't know if they got all three Short categories like you did. I only got 14 this year (I should have picked Hugo a lot more), and I only got one of the Short categories right.

Kevyn Knox said...

Thanx.

Yeah, I was pretty surprised with the short sweep, but still missed that ever-elusive twenty.....