Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Weekly Film Poll #2: The Results

This week, faithful readers, you were asked to name your favourite French New Wave director.  Granted, the outcome was a forgone conclusion (wasn't it?) but you voted anyway - and I thank you for such.
I chose the above picture of Godard and (then) wife Anna Karina to honour both JLG (for winning the contest this week) and Anna on what is the actress/new wave icon's 70th birthday.

The results (based on 22 votes) are as follows:

Jean-Luc Godard - 10 (45%)
Francois Truffaut - 6 (27%)
Jacques Rivette - 3 (13%)
Eric Rohmer - 3 (13%)
Claude Chabrol - 0 (0%)

The saddest part is that poor M. Chabrol did not receive even a single vote.  Granted, he is my personal least favourite of the five, but hey, the poor guy just died, how about at least a pity vote.

The new poll can be viewed in the ledfthand sidebar.  This time, in anticipation of the new Coen Brothers film coming out at year's end (their remake of True Grit) you are asked to choose your favourite Coen Brothers movie.  

Our goal this week is to have at least 50 participants in our little film poll.


4 comments:

Jeffrey M. Anderson said...

Oh man! I feel so sorry for Chabrol...

But onto the Coen Brothers. Like most people, I think their best films are probably "Fargo" and "No Country for Old Men," (and I'm also fond of "The Big Lebowski") but I feel a kinship and a protectiveness toward "Burn After Reading," which is just so much fun and so darn... perfect.

- Jeffrey M. Anderson

MP said...

I feel sorry too for Chabrol but I think Godard is the better director of the French New Wave.

Coens Poll: Apart from the obvious choices like Jeffrey said, I really liked "Barton Fink" and "Raising Arizona".

Kevyn Knox said...

Hope you guys clicked in yr votes over in the sidebar. Looks like it is going to be a pretty good turnout for this one.

Unknown said...

So hard to pick one but The Dude abides...